Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Swing in the Playground

It was a beautiful evening. The scorching heat which had tortured all living things in the afternoon slowly gave way to cool breeze. I wished everyday should be like this evening. Cool and refreshing atmosphere produces a state of serenity in the mind.

I walked along the narrow concrete path in the park proximity meant for children to play, shout and scream thus let out their steam.

The objective of the park was admirable for it had few swings, gym bars, plenty of flower plants and some palm trees. It would be very healthy to inhale the natural oxygen produced by the trees and plants. However, the authorities also found that it would add fascination to the park if a fountain is built. And so they did. The fountain was beautiful; but, it has been abused for the visitors had dirtied it; threw rubbish into it and made the sight of it intolerable.

The local authority which is responsible for the maintenance of the fountain eventually neglected it. The public finding it in its deplorable condition did not think it would be wise on their part to do something to bring it back to its original beautiful state. So no one bothered. I though it to be a correct thing to write to the authority pointing out the fountain’s deplorable state. No! There was no response.

One man’s voice produces no effect. More so, if that voice has no political clout. Perhaps, I should consider approaching the member of the legislative assembly or the parliament representing this constituency. But will they take up this matter? To most of them this may be a very trivial issue.

Well, I still don’t understand what is trivial and what is so largely important? Probably it is their mental make-up which plays a significant role in their decision-making process. To some, larger issues which attract media-attention: triggers off some mouth watering conjectures may be beneficial.

All these questions should not be troubling me when I am taking a walk around the park enjoying the evening’s inspiring breeze. Troubled thoughts impede the enjoyment derived from this pleasant walk.

I finished a round and was battling whether to go into the park or continue walking around the perimeter of the park. By now I noticed a few cars were speeding around the park caring little about the danger of doing do. Besides, there were motorcyclists too who seemed to think that they are the only fellows who have exclusive possession of the road. They were riding recklessly not caring for their safety and for other road users. I remembered the frequent announcements in the radio. Have sympathy for motorcyclists. I am not too sure whether they deserve sympathy or others who have to countenance this hell-riders’ menace. It seems that the sympathy had been displaced. These motorcyclists are the biggest culprits.

In the circumstances, I had no hesitation in deciding that the safest and rational thing to do would be to keep away from the road and enter the park. So I did.

I walked around slowly. There were old men and women jogging. There were young ones at the gym bar. There were some lovers seated on the verge of the fountain and they were not perturbed by its condition.

Nearby there were the see-saws and children were playing. They were shouting and laughing – a sign how much they were enjoying themselves. Their parents were around watching, and feeling very happy at the way their off-springs were making the park so lively. The excitement was fantastic.

As I walked towards the swing I saw they were all taken up not by children but young men and women. Probably they are lovers, or they may be acquaintances for I could see them talking and giggling.

And to my horror I saw a few little ones watching these lovers who have deprived them of the swings. I stood and watched helplessly. These grown-ups were mindless of the children’s desire to play. After all, this is children’s play ground and these grown-ups seem not to have the intelligence to observe the dejected looks of the children.

I stood facing those lover birds and they seemed not bothered. A little girl with piggy-tail pulled my hand and said: “Uncle, I want to play the swing…… Can you help me?” The child’s words, melodious voice and her pitiful looks drove away the little hesitation, fear in me. I took the little girl’s soft hand and walked to the nearest swing occupied by a young woman.

“Excuse me. This little girl wants to use the swing. Would you be kind to let her play?”

She turned to the young man on the next swing. And I didn’t hear what she said to her man. A minute or two must passed. And still there was not any sign that she’d give up the swing for the little girl.

Once again, plucking my courage, I repeated but this time I did raise my voice. “Excuse me. This swing is for children. Please let this little girl play!”

The woman jumped off the swing. She went to her friend sitting on the next swing pulled him away, saying, “We can’t be alone. Lot of busy bodies. They won’t leave us alone! Come!”

Her lover, boy-friend, who could he be? I have not the slightest idea, gave me a fierce look and left. I saw a couple of young boys racing towards the swing. I lifted the little girl and placed her on the swing.

“Hold it tight!” I said.

“Thank you!” The same melodious voice and I could feel her simple gratitude.

“Can you push me…..?”

“Sure!” I pushed the swing.

And the little girl laughed, giggled. She was so happy.

The harsh language of the young woman did not vex me. They disappeared in the laughter and joy of the little girl whom I have not seen before and had no idea whether I’ll see her again. But that’s the joy we could derive by simple deeds.

No comments: